Anyone who gets injured due to the property owner’s negligence has the right to recover compensation for his injuries. These accidents are called slip and fall accidents and are caused because of carelessness of the owner towards the property, for example, a grocery store doesn’t pay attention to the spill on the floor or a property owner doesn’t clear the snow from the walkways. There are four types of personal injury slip and fall accidents:
1) one may lose his traction and trip over. It is a typical slip and fall case;
2) one may hit something and fall, which is stump and fall case;
3) one may lose the balance and fall due to some defect in the surface like a gap and is called step and fall case;
4) one may trip over some object that was not supposed to be there and fall which is called trip and fall case.
In order to recover compensation for injuries, one should take following steps to protect his legal rights:
- One should notify the owner about the loss that happened. If available, fill out an accident report with complete details about the negligence of the owner (the dangerous condition) and injury. Don’t forget to take a copy of that report.
- Seek medical treatment.
- Do consult a good and experienced personal injury lawyer.
Slip and fall accidents can be considered as the most common premises liability cases, and they happen on a daily basis in United States. Defects in construction, inadequate upkeep or bad security all have the potential to injure someone. Some examples that cause Slip and Fall accidents are wet floors, damaged stairs and rough sidewalks. Slip and fall accidents can happen in many different locations which includes hotels, casinos, shopping plazas and schools. The type of injuries likely to happen can be neck injuries, fractures, brain injuries, bruises, spinal cord injuries and paralysis. These accidents can be very costly in terms of medical treatments, might require you to get leave from work for a definite time and can result in physical disabilities that cannot be cured medically. A settlement is necessary and can provide one with money. The owner will be held accountable for his actions and one can get monetary compensation for his injuries, such as reimbursement for the medical treatment bills, loss of money in terms of lost wages and all the pain one suffered.
The first thing which should be proves as the liability. The goal of the grieved party and his lawyer must be to demonstrate by any means that the accident happened due to the property’s owner fault. One will require knowing what was the time of day accident happened, the location where the accident happened and what were those conditions that led to the client’s fall that injured him. The reports from the hospital and that property must be available because they will be needed to get compensation. One should be entitled to have the compensation from the owner for his injuries. When the accident happened, there must be some witnesses to it, and they can play a very important part in filing a lawsuit against the property owner.